Friday, October 2, 2009

Curtain


And another show comes to a close. I spent so much time in the rehearsal process dazed and confused (pic is a good example..didn't even know where the camera was), but in the end, it all turned out alright.
I got to hang out with some cool people, I got to experience the wonders of accompaniment software technology, and I got to act like a lunatic without anyone asking if it's my time of the month.

But as we go into the closing weekend, I can't say I'm sorry to see the show end. A Sondheim production is a huge bite for any theatre to chew, and the success of our particular endeavor is in the eye of the beholder. It's hard to give up your free time, to never see your husband or your other friends, for weeks and not be sure the payoff is equal to the sacrifice.

So in the end, we decide that it is. Everything we get out of life is the equivelent of what we put into it. So while I'll be breathing a little sigh of relief during the final curtain call, I'll also be feeling a little regretful. After all, most of my performance work is a labor of love, not money. It was a tough show musically, and we had a lot to deal with throughout rehearsals and performances. This, like all performances, is a series of tiny tragedies and triumphs. When all's said and done, I gotta save the drama for my mama--who's coming to see it Saturday, incidentally.







No comments:

Post a Comment