Thursday, September 17, 2009

Knock Knock

Tuesday I was invited to audition for Horizon Theatre's Family Series production of Madeleine's Christmas. Even though I am ridiculously overwhemlmed schedule-wise right now, I don't think I can pass up the opporunity for a paying gig. I have no idea how they got my name, or what in the world part I could be called for (they're calling actual little girls as well) but I'm glad it's starting to get out there! When I spoke to the coordinator she said to prepare two songs and a short monologue..kind of intense for a one-hour play about magic carpets, but I'm game. For my belt I'm going to sing "Here I Am" from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, because it has French phrases in it, and for legit soprano "Lovely" from Forum because it's gentle without being a total downer ballad. The monologue is evidently optional, and I don't have anything in my rep that's good for the show, plus I haven't done a monolgue audition since college, so it's a big temptation to opt right on out. But would that be a bad step? Even if I'm totally inappropriate for the show, at least I will have been seen and possible considered for the future, right?

After this audition I will probably be inspired to write a post about the monologue at auditions. A taste: Can we PLEASE all recognize that this, the SAT of live theatre, is a terrible measure of talent? It's more a measure of how good you are at figuring out your type--a useful skill, yes, but relevant to being cast in one specific role? No. You know what is relevant? READING FOR THE ROLE. Anyway, more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment